Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Morning Runs

I've gotten back into running lately. Me run??? The only thing I run is laundry, right? And kids. I run kids around like nobody's business. I used to be a runner in high school and college, but the baby years have taken their toll. I do think I run a marathon in my head every day but that's beside the point. Surely I run marathons up and down the stairs, don't I? Sure seems like it.
Truth is, when I started a few weeks ago, I needed every second of those 90 seconds to recover from the 60 seconds of running. Heck, I still need to walk/jog my morning runs. But that's not the point. The point is, for me running is so seductive. It always has been. It's like time stands still on a run. Literally, in the beginning it did. As in, time is not moving. This exercise may never come to an end. There will probably always be moments like those. But the ones that get me are the moments of pure undisturbed peace. I can hear the summer sounds. Oh, how I love those summer sounds-cicadas, crickets, chirping birds. It's the only time I can take a deep breath and breathe in summer. You know how I am about summer. I wish I could lasso it and hold fast. I kinda sorta feel like I can do this when I'm out for a run. I can take it all in. Uninterrupted.
It's been a year since my last 5k and honestly I was in better shape this time last year. I'd love to set a goal for another 5k, maybe sometime in the fall. I only put it out there to help keep myself accountable. Anything can happen between now and then and I realize this. In the meantime, I am sure enjoying the baby steps. I see the world with fresh eyes and hope to share with you some views from my morning runs. The pic above is the B&A Trail from 7/16/11.
Here's a couple from this morning:

These are from a country road in Massachusetts. The roads wind around gorgeous lakes. There is so much beauty out there. I'm so very grateful to have the opportunity to take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment