Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer's End

August has a way of redeeming itself. I've come to love it. Until a few years ago, I didn't really trust August. The way it hung over me all summer long, ready to pounce and steal summer away. The minute August reared it's head on the calendar, the proverbial countdown began. X number of days til school starts. Robbed me of my joy. But then I gave August a chance. One more book, one more project, 3 more weeks of days. And ya know what? By the end of August, I really was refreshed. I've come to appreciate the beauty of this month.

Here we are, the last day of summer vacation. Supplies labelled. Backpacks loaded and by the front door. First day of school clothes laid out. Stories read, kids in bed. The excitement in the air is right up there with Christmas Eve.

We just had to squeeze in one more summer afternoon at the pool. I love that late afternoon/early evening heat of summer. It's sunshine for my soul. So thanks be to August for it's cleansing and restoration. I've embraced every last second.

Can you believe my baby can swim like that? What a wee fish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment